Italian company Elite continue the virtual reality theme with their Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer. The RealAxiom is a mid to high-end trainer which like its more expensive cousin, the RealPower, concentrates on recreating a virtual reality riding experience coupled with a decent quality resistance system and impressive performance breakdown tools. Like the RealPower, the Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer features unique Ritmo footpads, floor contacts on the underside of the frame which are specifically designed to bounce the whole trainer up and down and side to side to mimic in-motion cycling.
The frame is quality: there is a quick setup procedure, its easy to adjust resistance with the handlebar mounted control console and it proves sturdy in use. The Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer is designed to be used in conjunction with the supplied user-friendly software. On your PC you get the option of selecting course toughness, profile and length and there are different race courses which come complete with riders-eye views as you pedal through the countryside and mountains.
- Large flywheel with ElastoGel roller designed to reduce tyre wear, reduce noise and increase grip
- Excellent rear wheel clamping mechanism which locks in with one simple movement
- Ritmo feet designed to give you a realistic wiggle as you bounce side to side on the bike
- A fluid resistance unit with built-in power regulator
- Wide straight-legged frame which is strong and stable
- Control console to be mounted on handlebars
- Easy set-up and folds flat for storage
- USB adaptor to kick off software applications
- Cadence sensor monitors rider performance
- Conconi Test and internet racing software
- Comes with varied DVD courses which give realistic virtual track views while racing
The set-up of the Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer, usability of the model and supplied instructions are all excellent. The unit comes ready assembled in the box, so all you have to do is squeeze on the special Ritmo feet and attach the resistance unit to the rear of the frame which is done with two screws. The rear wheel clamping mechanism is a one-movement lever which closes downwards to securely fasten your bike wheel in place. Your handlebar-mounted console and cadence sensor are then mounted and once the software is installed its ready to go.
The personal training software of the Elite RealAxiom Trainer allows you to programme the length and gradient of the course and then monitors your speed, cadence, power and time. Theres even a training test option available so you can find out about your endurance limits on the trainer! On the available classic ride courses you get a riders-eye view as you climb the Alpe dHuez or pedal your way through the Italian countryside.
Packed with a massive array of features as it is, the Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer should nevertheless be compared against other VR models such as the Tacx Fortius before purchase. Little differences in design and particular features may make the difference when you are spending this amount of money. The Elite Realaxiom Wireless VR Trainer itself certainly is pricey but for training motivation, performance analysis and real-world ride feel its definitely a high-class contender.